Become a Member
BCLS offers 7 library branches conveniently located throughout Berkeley County, a full-service mobile library that is moving our resources everywhere, and a robust digital library that you can access from your home, office, or mobile device.
- If you already have a valid Berkeley County Library card, congratulations! You have full access to our entire collection of digital resources, as well as other materials in all BCLS locations.; If you received a library card from a library event in your community, please include the full library card number (below the barcode) to finalize your library card registration.
- If you have forgotten your PIN or lost your library card, contact one of our branches for assistance. We’re here to help!
- If you are a new library customer, please complete the eRegistration form. A library team member will contact you during library business hours with your new library card number and information regarding your library account.
Getting a Card
Full Membership: There is no minimum age requirement for getting a library card. You will need proof of identity and proof of residency. We offer a physical library card with a keychain card or you can opt for a virtual card.
Your library card is free if you are a:
- Berkeley County resident.
- Berkeley County school teacher (Private, Public, or Home School Teachers. You do not have to live in Berkeley County).
- Berkeley County property or business owner.
- U.S. military member or dependent (active or retired).
- Active college student with proper school ID.
Temporary Membership: If you are not eligible for a free card, you may purchase a renewable one-year library membership for $30. If you are temporarily residing in Berkeley County for 6 months of less, you may purchase a temporary membership for $15.
Internet Only: If you prefer to not to have library membership, but want to use our computers, a “computer use only” card is available at no charge.
New Resident: If you have recently moved, you may apply for a free 30-day library card until you are able to provide proof of residency.
About Your Membership
Checking Out: You may check out up to 30 items. Most materials are available for a 2-week checkout unless otherwise noted. DVDs, videos, board games, and Launchpad tablets are available for a 2-week checkout. *Some of our digital materials and special collections have varying checkout and renewal limits.
Renewing Materials: You may renew your items in person, by phone, or online.
- Books & Magazines | 2 renewals available
- Music CDs & Audiobooks | 2 renewals available*
- DVDs & Videos | 2 renewals available*
- Board Games | 2 renewals available*
- The Collection – WiFi Hotspots, Chromebooks, Media Players, Projectors, Telescopes and Tablets | 2-week checkout.
- Launchpads & YLT Materials | No renewal
- BCLS Connects Kit | No renewal
- BCLS Book Bundles | No renewal
*Renewals are only available if there are no holds waiting. If another user is not waiting for this item, we will auto-renew your item.
Reserving Materials: You may reserve up to 10 items at one time in person, by phone, online, or with the BookMyne app.
Returning Materials: Please return items at any of the Berkeley County Library System branches, or on the mobile library. Book drops are conveniently located outside each location for 24-hr returns.
Fines & Fees: Overdue fines are $0.10 per day/per item. *Special collections rates may vary. (link to this info)
Resetting Your PIN: You will need a Library card number and PIN to access your account online. If you do not know your PIN, you can reset it online or contact your Berkeley County Library for assistance.
Reset My PIN.
Request Materials from Other Libraries: If you do not see a particular item, you can request an Interlibrary Loan which will allow you to borrow materials from another library system.