Local History – The South Carolina Room
This reference room is located inside the main location of the Library System in Moncks Corner. The materials located here are collected based on their subject matter, primarily Berkeley County and South Carolina. From local tales and biographies, to family-published cemetery records, to lists of soldiers from South Carolina in the American Revolution; the collection is both specific and broad; fiction and reference.
No items in the room may be checked out as many items in this room are one-of-a-kind. Often there are additional copies in the library system which can be checked out.
The South Carolina Room is accessible during the Main Library’s hours of operation.
- Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Please call 843.719.4236 or 843.719.4223 for details and to make an appointment.
The Microfilm Collection consists of:
Oral History and Digital Project
In 2012, the library’s application for an LSTA (Library Services and Technology Act) grant, administered by the South Carolina State Library, was accepted. Twenty thousand dollars was awarded to fund our project, Berkeley County History: digitally collecting and preserving oral histories, anecdotes, and photos. These funds made this ongoing project a reality.
Completed Projects in the S.C. Digital Library
- 1955 Moncks Corner Community Directory
- Atkins Landing Book
- Atkins Landing Collection
- Bradwell & Sons Ephemera
- Berkeley County Crop Liens
- The Berkeley Drive-In Theatre
- Berkeley High School (1939)
- David A. Gethers: Birth to Service – WW2
- Mary Palmer’s Composition Book
- St. John’s Baptist Church Minutes
- Daniel E. Smith, Jr. Collection
- Jimmy Cornelius Stone Collection
- Yeamans Hall Club
Berkeley County History
- Civil War Recollections of Captain John Stoney Porcher
- Indexed Maps:
- Gaillard Map of Plantations
- Quadrant Maps of Berkeley County (1936-1954)
- St. Julien’s [Plantation Book]: 1858 – 59 – 60 – 1861
- ‘Trustees Berkeley Circuit Church Book, 1883’
Local History Documents From the South Carolina State Library
- South Carolina Book Collection
- South Carolina State Documents
- South Carolina Digital Library Collection
- American Independence: Digital Collections and Selected Websites Guide
Looking for resources on South Carolina? Access StudySC, South Carolina State Library’s online resource providing information on South Carolina people, culture, history, geography, and more. Use the interactive county map to learn about the history, people, cities, and towns of each county. Be sure to check the StudySC website frequently for new information on South Carolina’s history and culture.
Podcast: The Green Book of South Carolina
The Green Book of South Carolina is the first mobile travel guide to African American cultural sites across South Carolina. Created by the S.C. African American Heritage Commission, it provides residents and visitors from around the world a user-friendly guide to discovering and celebrating enriching cultural experiences across the state of South Carolina. Dawn is the Director of Corporate Communications for the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism where she is responsible for communicating their business information to the media, industries, elected officials, and other public constituencies. She is also an ex-officio board member of the South Carolina African American Heritage Commission and has worked to launch and promote the Green Book of South Carolina. Listen online at Podbean, Stitcher, or TuneIn Radio today!