Getting a Card
There is no minimum age requirement for getting a library card. Your library card is free if you are a:
- Berkeley County resident
- Berkeley County school teacher (private, public, or home school teachers and educators. You do not have to live in Berkeley County)
- Berkeley County property or business owner (business owners do not have to live in Berkeley County)
- US Active Duty military member/dependent (active or retired)
- Active college student with proper school ID (you do not have to live in Berkeley County)
If you are not eligible for a free card, you may purchase a renewable one-year library membership for $30.00.
If you are temporarily residing in Berkeley County for six months or less, you may purchase a temporary membership for $15.00.
If you have recently moved, you may apply for a free 30-day library card until you are able to provide proof of residency.
If you prefer not to have a library membership but want to use our computers, “computer use only” cards are available at no charge.
We provide public computers with Microsoft Office software, Internet access, and online information databases. If you are not a library card holder, that’s okay! There is no charge for an internet only card.
- Black & White – $0.10 per page printed
- Color – $0.25 per page printed
You may check out up to 30 items. Most materials are available for a 2-week checkout unless otherwise noted. DVDs, videos, board games, and Launchpad tablets are loaned for 1 week. *Some of our digital materials and special collections have varying checkout and renewal limits.
You may renew your items in person, by phone, online, or with the BookMyne mobile app.
- Reserved items are not available for renewal
- Books & Magazines | 2 renewals available
- Music CDs & Audiobooks | 2 renewals available*
- DVDs & Videos | 2 renewals available*
- Board Games | 2 renewals available*
- Launchpad Tablets & YLT Materials | No renewal
- BCLS Connects Kit | No renewal
- GoChip Beam & Launchpad View | No renewal
- BCLS Book Bundles | No renewal
*Renewals only available if there are no holds waiting
Renew your items in person, by phone or by visiting our online catalog. Or with the *NEW MOBILE APP, BookMyne. (free at the Google Play Store or Apple Store)
Ten (10) items may be reserved at one time.
Reserve items in person, by phone or by visiting our online catalog and placing a “hold” on the items. Or with the *NEW MOBILE APP, BookMyne. (free at the Google Play Store or Apple Store)
Returns items at any of the Berkeley County Library Systems locations or the mobile library. Book drops are located outside each location for 24-hour returns. Please note that while libraries are closed for extended holidays or emergency closings, no items will be due during those dates.
Fines & Fees
- Replacement for lost card – $2.00
- Overdue fine – $0.10 per day per item
*Special collections rates may vary.
When checking out some of our electronic devices, you may be required to sign an agreement: Electronic devices use agreement Jan. 2018
Online Resources and Digital Media
The following databases and digital media are accessible from home, office or the library with your Berkeley County library card:
- Universal Class – 500 online classes
- Mango Languages – Over 60 languages free online
- Lynda.com – hundreds of online learning videos for business and personal development
- Read the Books – a sort-able Accelerated Reader and Reading Counts lists synced to your school’s list
- PBS Kids – educational games for kids
- ABCmouse.com – available only with Library’s public computers
- TumbleBooks – digital flipbooks and games for kids
- RBdigital (formally Zinio) – download e-magazines
- Jasmine Libraries – download e-books and e-audiobooks to your personal device
- RBDigital (formally OneClickdigital) – download e-books and e-audiobooks
DISCUS, South Carolina’s Virtual Library provides a variety of organized resources, called databases, for individuals of all ages, educational levels, and interests.
The DISCUS databases include:
- Professional journals
- Reference material
- Student and teacher resources
- Recommended web links
- and much more!